Friday, August 3, 2007

Food Museums Part II

Well, perhaps better described as an empty calorie museum. Just in the last week or so, the New York Times had a review of the new Coca Cola museum, known as the World of Coke. I have to say, there's something about any museum that has a place known as the Happiness Factory, that scares me a little bit. Very Willie Wonka sounding. Pretty expensive--with an admission price of $15, that means each visitor is paying that amount to be sold advertising--because, enjoyable though it may be, that's what this sort of corporate museum is.

I found it interesting that I couldn't find any pictures of exhibits, even on their own website. Their own website just has exhibit concept drawings, and I suspect, like many museums of all types, they don't allow photography in the galleries. That's a pet peeve of mine--I understand no flashes, of course, but I know feel like all those no photographs rules feel really corporate and big-brotherish--when all I want to do is take a photo of a really inventive label or interesting installation. So I might go see the Coke Museum (and I could certainly persuade my daughter to see the Andy Warhol exhibit there) but I can't imagine putting it high on my list.

No comments: